Power Station of Art
Established in October 2012, the Power Station of Art (PSA) became the first state-run museum dedicated to contemporary art in Mainland China. Standing tall by Shanghai’s mother river, the Huangpu River, PSA now occupies an area of 42000sqm.
With an internal height of twenty-seven meters, the museum now houses exhibition sections that add up to 15000sqm, and its 165 meter chimney, being an independent exhibition space, has also become an integral part of Shanghai’s world-famous skyline.
Renovated from the former Nanshi Power Plant The museum has not only witnessed the city’s vast changes from the industry age to the IT era, but also provided a rich source of inspirations for artists with its simple yet straightforward architectural styles.
Previously a generator for electricity, it is now Shanghai’s generator for its new urban culture. PSA regards constant innovation and progress as the key to its long-term survival and prospering. The museum has worked hard to provide an open platform for the public to learn and appreciate contemporary art, breaking the barrier between life and art, and promote cooperation and knowledge generation between different schools of art and culture.
Nanshi Power Plant became China’s first three-star Green Building at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo’s Pavilion of Future.
Nanshi Electric Plant 1897-1955
In 1897, the Nanshi Electric Plant lit the first light of Chinese people.
Relocated to Bansongyuan Road by the Huangpu River in the Nanshi area, where PSA is now.
Nanshi Power Plant 1955-2007
The body and the chiminey of the power plant were built in 1985. The Power Plant witnessed the rise of an industrious era, with more than 80 years of operation.
Pavilion of Future of 2010 Shanghai World Expo 2010-2012
Nanshi Power Plant became China’s first three-star Green Building at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo’s Pavilion of Future and helped reveal mankind’s imaginations practices about future cities.
Power Station of Art 2012-
On Oct. 1st, 2012, the PSA was opened.